Saturday 8 January 2011

Dodgy


Apologies for the delay in starting 2011, but I've not been well. Like you wouldn't believe: I think I did Christmas and New Year on autopilot - however, normal service has now been resumed. And for that I can't thank my very own Florence Nightingale enough for being there when it mattered (I guess that's what they mean by that whole 'for better or worse' malarkey).

Anyway, just got time to say that we've now got tix for the first gig of the new year. Dodgy (Nottingham Central Fri 21 Jan), it must be said, probably released the most consistently fab grooves of all the Britpop movers and shakers of the time. If you want three essential albums of the early 90s you can forget Oasis and Blur; The Dodgy Album, Homegrown and Free Peace Sweet capture the (don't worry, I'm not going to say the z word) very spirit of that whole TFI Friday buzz that defined the fag end of the last century. Bostin.

I interviewed Nigel Clark a few years back and remember telling him that this was the best song he'd ever written. He didn't disagree.


The feline models at the top of the page btw are our very own Tom and Doris, who proudly posed for Phill Jupitus' Pets In Band Tee Shirts gallery.



2 comments:

  1. Glad you are better and back in harness

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? Dodgy! I would have always given them a swerve - but I'll try on your rec', and that this tune that reminds me of Oranges and Lemons era XTC. Couple of bands/albums from that time I still have a soft spot for Mansun and Catatonia's Velvet

    Matey on the left would make a fine avatar..(looks like he's at the barbers)

    ReplyDelete